Here is your guide to Band Alumni activities, tailgating, tickets, and parking. Questions? Ask below.
Click to get back to Homecoming registration
Alumni Band Schedule (Sat., Oct. 21)
- 9:00 – Instrument Pickup at GNP Band Building (for Parade participants)
- 9:30 – Report time for Homecoming Parade (meet UMMB at stadium)
- 10:30 – Homecoming Parade step-off
- 11:30 – Instrument Pickup at GNP Band Building (for Halftime participants)
- 11:30 – Tailgating begins (Lot 11 at Football Performance Center)
- 1:00 – 2:30 – Alumni Band rehearsal (behind stadium)
- 2:30 – Baby Band concert at Tailgate
- 3:15 – Pregame Show
- 3:30 – Game kickoff
- Baby Band will perform ‘Your Song’
- Alumni Band will MARCH ‘Let’s Groove’
- Combined Bands to perform ‘1812’ and ‘Fight Mass’
- Return instruments (in cases), music, lyres to Equipment Staff beneath Section 1 of stadium.
- Following the UMMB’s 5th Quarter show, all band alumni and their families are encouraged join the band on the field to sing “My Way.”
- And after “My Way,” all brothers and sisters of KKΨ, TBΣ, ΦMA, ΣAΙ, and ΦBΔ, will gather at the 50 yard line.
Bring your kids and partners to march WITHIN THE UMMB!
The parade steps off at 10:00 am. Report time is 9:30 SHARP at the stadium.
Parade Route (click map to enlarge)
The band has some horns (mellophones, euphoniums, tubas) and percussion equipment for alumni band members to borrow. Please indicate so when registering.
If borrowing an instrument…
… and marching in Homecoming Parade:
Please report to the GNP Marching Band Building NO LATER than 9:00 am Saturday to get your instrument. Parade participants should immediately meet the UMMB at the main stadium gates by 9:30.
… and marching only in the Alumni Band halftime show:
Please report to the GNP Marching Band Building NO LATER than 11:30 am Saturday to get your instrument. Alumni Band rehearsal begins at 1:00 pm behind the stadium. We invite you to tour the band building and Old Chapel before tailgating (Lot 11) with band alumni prior to rehearsal.
REQUIRED: Fill out this “rental form” to help us get a horn for you.
Due to the size of the UMMB this year, there is EXTREMELY LIMITED availability outside of mellos, euphs, tubas, and percussion. Woodwinds MUST PROVIDE their own reeds and neckstraps.
If you need another type of horn, please borrow one from a friend, or consider playing a different horn we can provide (for example, you played trumpet, but we can loan you a mello).
If you need a lyre…
Please do your best to buy or borrow one. The band has a few to loan out (including Flutist Friends), but it’s first-come, first-served.
Band Alumni Tailgate is where you want to be! Our tailgate area is on the grassy lawn outside the Football Performance Center at Yellow Lot #11. In partnership with the Band Parents Association, we’ll have tents and grills available for use.
Please note that for 2017, Yellow Lot #11 is for season ticket holder parking only.
Participating members of the halftime alumni band will be comped one (1) ticket each. Additional tickets are available through UMass Athletics.
Where should we sit during the game?
Sections 5-7 on the press box side are ideal for access to general admission seats and for watching the UMMB perform during the game and at halftime. Section 17 is good for those who wish to sit with the band during the game.
The band performs its halftime show to the press box side.
All stadium parking will be paid parking for the 2017 season.
- If you show up on gameday and buy a game ticket at the gate, parking will be $10 cash.
- If you purchase parking online ahead of time, it’s just $5.
- Free parking included with purchase of season tickets.
- Lot #11 is restricted to season ticket holders.
If you choose to walk from campus lots, the closest available free lots are beyond the Mullins Center (Lot #25) and the Visitors lots (Lot #32 and #71) next to Whitmore.
To park close to the Band Building, use Hicks Way Red Lot #64. This is between the Band Building and Commonwealth Honors College.